As a Miami narcotics detective, Leah Daniels never knows how her day will turn out. But she certainly never expected to be strapped to a stone altar, the human sacrifice in an ancient Mayan ritual meant to coax up a demon from the underworld. Or that she’d be saved by a handsome warrior-priest king who claims to recognize her from his visions...
Jaguar Strike wishes he hadn’t made the mistake of reuniting his fellow warrior priests, or broken the law by saving their chosen human sacrifice. Now, he has no choice but to join forces with Leah and invoke dangerous magic in a death-defying race against the end of time.
You too can try to get this book - so go forth and enter!
So now that I have all of these new wonderful books...which do I read next? Can't decide. Not only do I have these new ones but I have about 200 others to choose from. Do I go with an ebook, a RAW author or do I go with one of the new print ones? The day after my trip to Borders the library called and all 5 of the books I ordered came in at once - oh lucky me!
I just finished Damien by Jacquelyn Frank and liked that a lot. (Also got a little insight into Noah - that hottie! lol)
So my immediate options are (in no particular order):
- Rogue by Rachel Vincent
- The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn
- Weddings from Hell Anthology
- If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl
- Secrets of Surrender by Madeline Hunter
- Never Trust a Scoundrel by Gayle Callen
- The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann
- The Spymasters Lady by Joanna Bourne
Book 2 in the Lunewulf series by Lorie O'Clare is In Her Blood. Elsa wants nothing to do with the new pack law so she runs. Eventually she lands in Minnesota and meets Pack Leader Rick Bolton. Sparks fly. Her pack and her 3 mates are chasing her. What's a Bitch to do?
Last but certainly not least was a short story in the Lunewulf series called Full Moon Rising. It was a good one, but had absolutely no Lunewulf in it so it kind of was the odd man out. Beth, big time lawyer....Ethan big time pack leader meet, mate, have HEA. Overall I'd give the Lunewulf series 3 stars out of 5. You can read more about the stories here.
Check it out - you won't regret it!
Anyway, A Perfect Match is about a man, Mitch, who works for a newspaper in a relatively small city (which happens to be the city I currently live in)as a sports writer. The "Community Happenings" woman goes out on maternity leave and he is asked to cover for her by doing a story on a local matchmaking business.
Enter Juliette Lowell, owner of A Perfect Match. Mitch is very skeptical about her methods of matchmaking and writes a not so wonderful review of her business. Juliette challenges Mitch to let her set him up with her system and she if she can't make a believer out of him. He eventually says yes, but only if she enters herself into the system to be set up as well. Juliette's not so sure how this will go since she has a boyfriend and he's asked her to marry him. She's not said yes, but doesn't really feel right about going out on a date while dating someone else. But her boyfriend is very understanding, says he trusts her, and she should most definitely do it since it will prove the reporter wrong in the end.
When all is said and done and all the matchmaking info is put into the system it turns out that Mitch and Juliette are a 93% match. Although they've been very attracted to each other Juliette is NOT overjoyed at the prospect of going out with Mitch. But they do, with each person planning half of the date and end up having a really good time...especially that incredibly steamy kiss at the end of the night. Wow.
Mitch is so wanting more of Juliette, but again, she's almost engaged so how is that to happen? Juliette's feeling some strong attraction but unfortunately it's not toward the man she's "almost" engaged to. The problem is that Juliette moved a ton of times while growing up with a pretty much never there father so she wants security in her life. Mitch is a fly by the seat of your pants kinda guy and is willing to move wherever, whenever in order to move up in the newspaper business and further his career.
As much as I'd love to go on and tell you the rest of the book I'll suffice it to say that the way Mitch and Juliette work out their differences and end up coming together is just heart-warming. The romance between the two is wonderful in its simplicity and I loved that about this book. Although its not an easy road for the two of them Ms. Bradley made to story realistic and believable. I thoroughly enjoy reading this and will continue to recommend it.
Author: Christina Skye
Publication Date: 1996
About this book:
AT ROSE-COVERED DRAYCOTT ABBEY... in a savage age of chivalry, a war-weary knight defends a mysterious lady from danger and swears himself her champion for all time. Centuries later, a startling psychic vision draws a gifted bridal writer to a rugged castle veiled in Highland mist and to its enigmatic laird, Duncan MacKinnon. From the moment they meet, Kara Fitzgerald can sense they share an ancient, secret destiny.
I didn't know which book to choose for this month's TBR Challenge. I own quite a few that have pub. dates of 2007 or before so I kind of ended up doing an “eenie meenie” for my decision. Not always the best way to choose a book, but heck when you're stuck, it helps! After reading the jacket I chose one that I thought I would like it but I was sadly disappointed.
I’m not quite sure where to start my review. In my opinion this book was all over the place and it couldn’t quite find a way to link all the various places it went back into a final destination. By page 95 I was hitting the book on my leg and begging for it to be over. I’m not even sure I can write a comprehensive review and still make sense!
The heroine is a writer for a bridal magazine and wants/needs to go to Scotland to talk a Laird into using his castle for a photo shoot since he keeps refusing. Next thing we know she’s walking through a jewelry store doing feng shui and running into our hero who is robbing said store but not actually robbing it since he’s doing more of a security check. Confusion follows…for both the characters and the readers. Next thing you know the H/h are getting sent off to some place to try to put together a security plan for the store. Just seemed like an odd way to get the H/h together.
Then I moved on to The Darkest Night (The Lords of the Underworld Book 1) by Gena Showalter. This is the first book I've read by this author. I enjoyed this book though I had a few issues with some repetitive things in it. That definitely won't stop me from reading the other books in this series. Excerpt
Next on the list was a short I received as a gift from Anne Rainey. She was running a contest on someone else's yahoo group but I didn't win. Several emails later she gifted me with the story. Although I enjoyed the story for the most part the hero in this short was a little too dominating for me...and not in a dom fashion. Just kind of in an annoying one! Excerpt
Kate Douglas told me about a free story called "68 and Climbing" on her Yahoo Group so I went on over and checked it out. It was a cute story with good characters and I very much enjoyed it!
Next on my list was Darkness Everlasting (Guardians of Eternity book 3) by Alexandra Ivy. I really enjoy this series. I'm not sure what it is about it that draws me book after book but I keep buying and reading them! lol You can read more about her series on her website.
Next up was the book I read for the TBR Challenge through avidbookreader.com which was Bride of the Mist. I will review this for you this coming Wednesday.
Last but certainly not least I reread Falling for Anthony by Meljean Brook, a novella in the Hot Spell Anthology. I just love this story. Meljean's characters are always so vivid in their descriptions and I always feel like I'm right there in the room with them. Just love her books! You can read an excerpt here.
Happy Reading to All!
Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.
Read Excerpt here.
So the aliens have invaded but Melanie Stryder refuses to give in to her “soul”. They actually end up having conversations with each other and learn a grudging respect for the other and so much more as the book goes on. When Melanie and Wanderer go looking for Jared they find themselves enmeshed in a huge cell of human rebels that are not all that welcoming to the new alien, to say the least. Melanie loves Jared yet there’s another man that’s starting to fall for “Wanda” as they’ve dubbed her. How does Wanda deal with the feelings she has for Jared and those she’s feeling with Ian? It’s not an easy road.
Although this is unlike any story I’ve ever read (not usually a sci-fi fan) I found this to be a wonderful story of love, respect and acceptance in so many different ways and with so many different people. I thought it was incredible to see both Wanda and Mel and the humans dealing with every day issues of survival but learning that just because someone is different (ok, alien) it doesn’t make them a bad person.
Rounds 1, 2 & 3 are complete and boy were they exciting. There were some threats and of course tears but we all managed to get through without any pig heads being left at hut doors (you know who you are, oh threatener) - thank heavens!
So here are the results of Round 1 -3:
Sorry about the color issues I'm having a hard time today!
1. Tracy - Zsadist (Lover Awakened, JR Ward) #2 Phin Tucker (Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie) #3 Dorian (Psy/Changeling Series by Nalini Singh)
2. Thea - Jamie Fraser (Outlander, Diana Gabaldon) #2 Joscelin Verreuil (Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey) #3 Jacob Black (Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer)
3. Sula - Rhage (Lover Eternal, JR Ward) #2 Asa McIntyre (Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty) #3 Dain (Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase)
4. Shannon - Sam Donovan (Mr. Perfect, Linda Howard) #2 Sam Starrett (Susan Brockman Troubleshooters series) #3 Max Baghat (Troubleshooters series by Susan Brockman)
5. Sarai - Jake Riordan (Adrien English series, Josh Lanyon) #2 Rejar (Dara Joy) #3 Vaughn D'Angelo (Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh)
6. Samantha Kane - Doyle/The Queen's Darkness (Laurell K. Hamilton, Merry Gentry Series) #2 Cat (Windflower by Laura London) #3 Jack West (All U Can Eat by Emma Holly)
7. Naida - Edward Cullen (Twilight, Stephanie Meyers) #2 John Atlantis (Entangled by Kathleen Dante) #3 Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion by Jane Austen)
8. MaryKate - ROARKE (JD Robb's In Death series) #2 Lucas Hunter *sob* (Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh) #3 Max Pesaro (Gardella Chronicles by Colleen Gleason)
9. Lisabea - Adrien English (Adrien English series, Josh Lanyon) #2 Michael (Guardian series by Meljean Brook) #3 Colin Ames Beaumont (Demon Moon by Meljean Brook)
10. KristieJ - Derek (Dreaming of You, Lisa Kleypas) #2 Dax Silverbrake (Sky Pirate by Justine Davis) #3 Ciaran Tamberlane (My Forever Love by Marsha Canham)
11. Katie(babs) - Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, Paullina Simons) #2 Rehvenge (BDB series by JR Ward) #3 James Diaz (Cry No More by Linda Howard)
12. JenB - Vane Kattalakis (Night Play, Sherrilyn Kenyon) #2 Angel (Angel by Johanna Lindsay) #3 Rule (The Demon You Know by Christine Warren)
13. Ciaralira - Ethan McCabe (Demon Night, Meljean Brook) #2 Hugh Castleford (Demon Angel by Meljean Brook) #3 Westley (The Princess Bride by Willaim Goldman)
14. Christine - Acheron (Dark Hunter series, Sherrilyn Kenyon) #2 Qhuinn (BDB Series by JR Ward) #3 Vishous (BDB series by JR Ward)
15. Carolyn Jean - Eric Northman (Sookie series, Charlaine Harris) #2 Joe Morelli (Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich) #3 Ranger (Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich)
16. Sarah - Clay (Women of the Otherworld series, Kelley Armstrong) #2 Nathaniel (Anita series by Laurell K. Hamilton) #3 Barinthus (Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton)
17. LesleyW - John Matthew aka Tehrror (BDB series, JR Ward) #2 Jeremy Danvers (Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong) #3 Vayl (Jaz and Vayl series by Jennifer Rardin)
18. Tumperkin - Mick Tremore (The Proposition, Judith Ivory) #2 Michael McNeil (Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney) #3 Christian, Duke of Jervaulx (Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsdale)
19. Ana - Bowen MacRieve (Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night, Kresley Cole) #2 Sebastian St. Vincent (Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas) #3 Royce Westmoreland (A Kingdom of Dreamsby Judith McNaught)
20. Bridget Locke - Mr. Jules Cassidy (All Through the Night, Suzanne Brockmann) #2 Bone *sob* (Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost) #3 Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen)
Step 1. Find your name. That is the order you choose in.
Step 2. When it's your turn, “Call” ONE hero in the comments. (Anybody from all of literature, but you can’t have somebody who is already picked!
Who will you pick? After this round, everybody will have one hero, and draft round 2 will start. At the end of 7 drafts, everybody will have a group of 7 heroes to bring. Yes, trades are permitted.Don't worry about obsessively monitoring this thing. If you don't call your hero in 24 hours, we'll skip you.
• No picking out of order. Once the woman above you has chosen, it’s your turn. (Not before!)
• Trades are permitted, but be clear about announcing the results in the comments or email so your host doesn’t have to play sleuth.
• If it’s your turn and we don’t hear from you for 24 hours (Yeah, like we're patient enough to wait 24 hours *snort*) sorry, you’re skipped. But you can email your host ahead of time with your pick.
• Latecomers: SORRY, we wish everybody could play, but there has now been a moratorium placed on add-ons, due to the record-keeping nightmare this will soon become.
ROUND 2: Hosted at Sarai's as soon as this round is over. It could be a day or two. And the order will be reversed! Bridget, you will be first. There will be 6 or 7 rounds! We’ll each have 6 or 7 heroes to bring!
ROUND 3: Hosted at lisabea's
ROUND 4: Hosted at MaryKate's
ROUND 5: Hosted at Christine's
ROUND 6: Hosted at Katie(babs) & Kristie(J)'s
So my friend Amy has gotten her first book: Bound by Magic published with Red Rose Publishing. It's due out on May 8th! Woohoo Amy! Let's all give her a round of applause!
Here's a blurb for your reading enjoyment:
Two worlds held together by magic, the Earth realm and the realm of Aldar. Amber Moyer is a Chosen from our world. As the time draws near Samhain, Tavis, from Aldar, seeks her out in dreams. They are soul mates. Together they sustain his realm with the life giving magic of the Earth realm.
But there is evil that seeks Aldar.
Will Tavis and Amber be able to overcome the evil? Or suffer the same fate as Amber's mother so many years ago?
It looks like the "Coming Soon" page of Red Rose also has the follow up book: Bound by Fate to be released soon as well. I'll keep you posted when that's to be released.